Shiawassee County has eight public school districts and several private schools which compare favorably in several key categories with the State of Michigan’s average, including Merit Scholars, MEAP scores, ACT scores, SAT scores and AP Test scores.
The schools’ efforts have resulted in numerous awards, including The Governor’s Cup, The Golden Apple, Money Magazine’s Top 100 Values in Education, the Lighthouse Award and the Navigator Award.
- Shiawassee County, standing at the forefront of technological innovation, was the first county in the State of Michigan to bring broadband Internet access to all school districts.
- Currently, every building and classroom throughout the county has such access.
- Technology is utilized for many programs, including instruction utilizing Palm Pilots, coordinated student progress monitoring, distance learning and multimedia production and presentation.
- Shiawassee County supports the engagement of partnerships between education and local industry. School districts encourage teachers to meet with business leaders to better understand their worker education needs.
- There is also a substantial vocational training effort, with programs in such areas as high technology, medicine, agriculture, construction, public relations and cosmetology. Tools utilized to enhance these efforts include Junior Achievement, mock interviews and mentoring.
- Shiawassee County is a state leader in providing early childhood programs, including Shiawassee ABC, Even Start, Early On, Early Childhood Special Education Services (Infant-Toddler Program), Early Childhood Special Education Program (formerly Preprimary Impaired).
|Public Schools* & Secondary Institutions (2009)|
|Total number of public schools||31|
|Expenditure per pupil by county||$4,789|
|High school (9-12) enrollment – Total||11,102|
|High school graduation rates by district||SAT scores by district|
|New Lothrop||90%||New Lothrop||1038|
Source: State of Michigan
*Only schools providing general instruction included
|Public School District||Total Enrollment||Private Schools||Enrollment|
|Durand||1,318||St. Paul School||154|
|Morrice||559||Seventh Day Adventist||25|
|New Lothrop||928||Spring Vale Academy||45|
Source: Shiawassee Regional Education Service District
|Regional Comparison||Shiawassee County||State of Michigan|
|How Students Performed on State Reading Test|
|Grade 4 Reading Proficiency (%)||63||84|
|Grade 7 Reading Proficiency (%)||64||72|
|High School Reading Proficiency (%)||79.2||68|
|How Students Performed on State Math Test|
|Grade 4 Math Proficiency (%)||81||86|
|Grade 7 Math Proficiency (%)||73||73|
|High School Math Proficiency (%)||49||53.5|
|How Students Performed on State Science Test|
|Grade 4 Science Proficiency (%)||85||82|
|Grade 7 Science Proficiency (%)||75||79|
|High School Science Proficiency (%)||68||59.8|
|How Students Performed on State Writing Test|
|Grade 4 Writing Proficiency (%)||53.3||44|
|Grade 7 Writing Proficiency (%)||49||77|
|High School Writing Proficiency (%)||62.7||55.9|
|How Students Performed on State English Language Arts Test|
|Grade 4 ELA Proficiency (%)||69.5||76|
|Grade 7 ELA Proficiency (%)||59.8||74|
|High School ELA Proficiency (%)||71.1||69.9|
Source: Standard and Poor’s School Evaluation Service